Den bästa wikipediasidan som skrivits är: List of people who disappeared mysteriously. Förr i tiden kunde en människa bara försvinna, för att sedan dyka upp som en ny person, med en ny identitet. Det var antagligen inte speciellt svårt. Muta nån byråkrat i nån avlägsen håla för att få nya papper med en ny identitet. Människan kunde återuppfinna sig själv när det väl hade gått åt pipsvängen. Man kunde börja om på nytt. Idag går inte det. Idag är vi fångade i vår egen historia, den kan vi inte undvika.
Några mystiska highlights:
- 1826 – William Morgan (52), resident of Batavia, New York, disappeared just before his book critical of Freemasonry was published.
- 1848 – Khachatur Abovian (38), an Armenian writer and national public figure of the early 19th century, credited as creator of modern Armenian literature, left his house early one morning and was never heard from again.
- 1918 – Arthur Cravan (31), French proto-dadaist writer and art critic, disappeared near Salina Cruz, Mexico; he most likely drowned.
- 1934 – Wallace Fard Muhammad (43), founder of the Nation of Islam, left Detroit and was never heard from again.
- 1939 – Barbara Newhall Follett (25) was an American child prodigy novelist. Her first novel, The House Without Windows, was published in 1927 when she was thirteen years old. Her next novel, The Voyage of the Norman D., received critical acclaim when she was fourteen. In 1939, aged 25, she became depressed with her marriage and walked out of her apartment with just thirty dollars. She was never seen again.